Élans de Garneau win an unprecedented fourth consecutive CCAA Championship

Élans de Garneau win an unprecedented fourth consecutive CCAA Championship

GOLD MEDAL GAME:  Élans de Garneau 1, Champlain Saint-Lambert Cavaliers 0

The Élans de Garneau have won a record fourth consecutive CCAA Women’s Soccer National Championship. The 1-0 win over conference rivals, the Champlain Saint-Lambert Cavaliers, also marks their 10th national title in women’s soccer, more than any other CCAA institution.

The game commenced with lots of back and forth action all across the field. The intensity continued to grow as both teams threatened to score. Garneau goalkeeper, Anne-Marie Laroche continuously came out of goal to clear the ball out of their side of field. Saint-Lambert’s Thalia Krauth-Ibarz and Laroche maintained a healthy rivalry throughout the first half. Saint Lambert’s Olga Massambo came zooming down the field with no one in five yards of her. As she advanced, Laroche rushed out and deflected the ball making an incredibly close save. The score remained knotted up 0-0 at the half.

The pace of the second half accelerated with chances and saves by both teams’ goalkeepers. Marie-Christine Letellier finally broke the stalemate with a strike from 20 yards away into the top corner of the Cavalier’s net. This would prove to be enough for Garneau to successfully defend the National Championship.

Players of the game were Marie-Philippe Beauvais of Champlain St. Lambert Cavaliers and Anne-Marie Laroche of Cegep Garneau Elans.

BRONZE MEDAL GAME: Algonquin Thunder 3, NAIT Ooks 1

From the moment the first whistle was blown, the game was an intense, speedy and high tempo affair. Algonquin’s Melissa Gilligan was the first to break through, taking on multiple defenders and scoring the first goal of the game. NAIT was not fazed, bouncing back quickly with a good scoring opportunity for Kaily Mohn. However the score at half-time was 1-0.

The second half started with much of the first half’s energy. NAIT’s Mohn was able to tie the match up for NAIT but Algonquin answered only moments later with a strike from Darby Perry, giving the Thunder a 2-1 advantage. The Ooks continued to push but a penalty kick by Maddie Kelly put Algonquin up 3-1 score. That would prove to be the final score, resulting in a Bronze Medal win for the Algonquin Thunder.

Players of the Game were Darby Perry of the Algonquin Thunder and Kailey Mohn of the NAIT Ooks.

GAME 12: Douglas Royals 1, GPRC Wolves 0

The game was a back and forth affair, with both the Royals and Wolves taking turns controlling possession. Things appeared to tip in the Royals’ favour as a free kick for Douglas found the back of the net. However, the officials stated that the ball was still moving when the shot was taken and therefore no goal was awarded. The score at half time remained 0-0.

Showing no ill effects from the denied goal, Douglas’ Alyssa Lum made no mistake early in the second half, scoring the first and only goal of the game. The Royals maintained their offensive attack but the wolves turned away all remaining efforts with strong defensive play.

Players of the Game were Shelby Gitzel of the GPRC Wolves and Michelle Wessa of Douglas Royals.

GAME 11: St. Thomas Tommies 1,  Dalhousie Rams 0

STU took immediate control of the field scoring a goal in the first eight minutes of play from Silvia Fullarton. Dalhousie responded to this goal by dominating the possession and setting up several chances for Shanice Maxwell and company. The score at half-time was 1-0.

The action in the second half was much of the same forcing STU to play much stronger defence, as DAL AC set up several offensive opportunities. However no more goals were scored by either squad and the game ended with a final score of 1-0.

Players of the Game were Brittany Bertolin of the St Thomas Tommies and Katie Walsh of the Dalhousie Agricultural College Rams.